Transforming Your Living Room with Reclaimed Furniture
Are you looking for ways to share your story through your home design? You can add character and charm in a variety of ways, especially with reclaimed furniture. Tying in with reclaimed floors and ceiling beams, this type of furniture is perfect to complete the dÃ©cor goals you are trying to achieve. Not only will you be impressed with the possibilities, guests of your home will love it too! Custom options are rarely seen, allowing you to create a truly unique space. Learn the benefits of furniture made of reclaimed wood, ideas to implement in your space, rustic themes, custom furniture, and tips for perfect lighting and color.
Why Reclaimed Furniture?
You can incorporate reclaimed furniture into your dÃ©cor for extra character. Each piece will tell a different story and bring warmth to any room. What you may not realize is that reclaimed wood used for furniture is very strong and durable. It survived decades, or in some cases, even centuries! This is great to know as you are thinking of how to replace existing furniture. And while reclaimed furniture can show its age in upscale ways, you can trust itâ€™s reliability. Some of the common types of reclaimed furniture include:
Ideas for Your Space
- Dining room tables
- Coffee or end tables
- Chairs and barstools
- Foot stools
- Benches for entryways or for dining room seating
- Floating shelves
Wondering how to add reclaimed furniture in your home? There are a variety of ways!
- Dining rooms: The number one method of incorporating reclaimed wood into a dining room is by adding a wooden table with matching chairs. For small spaces, choose a lighter color to help make a space look larger. Looking to add warmth? Choose a dark wood with red cherry tones. Pair it with a wood storage cabinet to allow you to store your china, glassware, and more.
- Kitchens: Replace your existing vinyl countertop with wood! This is the perfect addition that will match perfectly with wood used in other rooms in the home. Plus, the reclaimed wood will be durableâ€”making it ideal for this high traffic area. You can have a glossy finish over it, or you can keep it more natural. Whichever you choose!
- Living Rooms: If you have a couch in your living room, you can add rocking chairs or foot stools/storage spaces made of reclaimed wood. If you have ceiling beams and hardwood flooring, choose colors and textures that complement them. For additional dÃ©cor, add shelving to place picture frames or small flower pots to give added character.
- Bedrooms: Have you considered a bed made of 100 percent reclaimed wood? This durable option is perfect for rustic and country homes. Pair it with matching night stands that sit next to, or are attached, to the bed. Next, add a bench in front of the bed with a comfortable cushion on top. A bench is perfect for getting ready in the morning or sitting for a few minutes while winding down for the day.
- Recreational areas: Use reclaimed wood to store items for your entertaining spaces, recreational rooms, garages, or more. Whether you need to put beverages and glasses in a safe place, or store your tools, reclaimed wood will protect them.
Are you looking for ways to transform your home to have a rustic theme? There are many traits of this style you can incorporate into your home. Rustic homes are very earth-centric, incorporating several aspects of nature. Common materials used in rustic homes include natural stones and color palettes, iron and metal accents, natural cloth, wood, and leather.Â
Rustic homes often are thought of as older and that they revisit dÃ©cor of an earlier time. However, it doesnâ€™t mean that you canâ€™t incorporate new items, just be sure they fit the theme. Need ideas? Try some of theseÂ rustic home dÃ©cor ideas and reclaimed mantels
Also, rustic and country homes often have large porches or patios to complement them. This is perfect to spend summer evenings lounging, or for showing off plants, flowers, and more. Working with a local hardwood specialist you can customize the exterior of your home to give it a personalized look.
Creating Custom Furniture
If you were inspired by some of the furniture mentioned above, you can work with a local hardwood specialist to create a custom piece. If you havenâ€™t been able to find the perfect piece for your needs, then customization would be the perfect choice. When going custom, you can be sure you are using true reclaimed furniture. This will both fit with your rustic theme and be more durable than store bought furniture. If you are handy and love to build, you can buy the wood and create the item yourself. Or, you can work with a local specialist to help you map out your ideas on paper, assist with finding the perfect material and take on the building project.
Lighting and Colors
As you put together the final pieces to your rustic remodel, make sure you are choosing the right lighting and colors for your spaces. While shades of brown are common in these theme, you can pair other shades to add life to your spaces.
Next, make sure you have lighting that properly accents your renovations. Use warm lighting and bulbs that have a soft appearance. Instead of your bright white LEDs, you can choose bulbs that have orange hues to reduce strain on the eyes.Â
Ward Hardwood Flooring is your go-to hardwood expert to help you create the perfect rustic home. From hardwood flooring and mantels, to reclaimed furniture, they will help you renovate your space and create the rustic home of your dreams! Get inspired and stop by their showroom, located at 29390 Industrial Way #100 in Evergreen, anytime between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.